Leaders of Recreation Facility Operations

Send us your photos»

F2F Summer 2015 cover

image02

About the CRFC
The Recreation Facilities Association of BC is a proud member of the Canadian Recreation Facilities Council (CRFC). They are the recognized national leader and advocate for all recreation facility associations and similar organizations.

Welcome to the Recreation Facilities Association of BC!

The purpose of the Recreation Facilities Association of British Columbia (RFABC) is to promote general interest, education, safe operating standards, professionalism and support among recreation facility operators, Commission and Board members in the successful operations of arenas, auditoriums, community centres, swimming pools, stadiums, parks and other recreation facilities.

Make sure you check out our Job Board, sign up for one of our courses, or take in our conference. If you have any questions, contact the RFABC office, Toll Free, at 1-877-285-3421.

News More»

   RFABC Member Receives Highest International Technology Award

A Canadian Ice Rink Manufacturer receives the top ASHRAE Technology Award this year. The award was presented at the ASHRAE 2015 Winter Conference in Chicago on January 24.

 Art Sutherland award

A Canadian ice rink contractor received the top ASHRAE Technology Award this year for the energy efficient design of a new public facility. The first place award was presented to Art Sutherland of Accent Refrigeration Systems at the ASHRAE 2015 Winter Conference in Chicago on January 24th.

The Westhills Arena located in Langford British Columbia was designed by Art Sutherland of Accent Refrigeration Systems and incorporated new innovative energy saving technologies and extensive energy recovery making it one of the most efficient recreation facilities worldwide.

The 75,000 sq.ft. facility includes a National Hockey League size indoor ice rink, an outdoor ice rink, a skating trail, bowling alley, offices and restaurant.

The mechanical system for the three ice surfaces are integrated into the entire building HVAC system to the extent that no fossil fuels are used for the facility other than in the kitchen. The outdoor rink provides additional rejected energy during the heating season in winter. Only 40% of the waste energy is required within the complex; with the remaining 60% being pumped 365 meters to the Westhills housing development as an energy source for household heat pumps. The project represents the first total integration between an ice facility and a community in North America through the use of ultra-high efficient ammonia heat pumps.

ASHRAE is the largest International Engineering organization representing 53,000 members in 132 nations and is dedicated to advancing the arts and science of heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration to serve humanity and promote a sustainable world.

 

 

Events More»

 

 

 

 

 

Tips And Trivia

”Formerly known as the British Columbia Arena, Auditorium and Stadium Association, was formed in the spring of 1948 in order to bring people of mutual interests together to discuss similar problems and exchange ideas. Mr. V. “Ben” Williams, General Manager of the Pacific National Exhibition at the time, chaired the first meeting which attracted representation from Victoria, Vancouver, Kelowna, Nanaimo and Trail.”

Quick Poll

Is your arena considering switching from ammonia to a non-toxic refrigerant?




Show Results

Take a Course

 

REFRIGERATION SAFETY AWARENESS

 

Mission

Oct. 9

 

 

ICE FACILITY OPERATOR

 

(1 week of 3 week RO course)

 

North Vancouver

Aug. 10-14

 

 

REFRIGERATION OPERATOR

 

(RO week 2 and 3)

 

New Dates

TBA

 

 

SWIMMING POOL OPERATOR I

 

Mission

Sept. 10-11

Victoria

Sept. 19-20

 

 

SWIMMING POOL OPERATOR II

 

Mission

Oct. 15-16

Kelowna

Oct. 22-23

Saanich

Oct. 24-25

 

 

BUILDING SERVICE WORKER I

 

Tumbler Ridge

Sept. 14-15

New Westminster

Sept. 21-22

 

 

BUILDING SERVICE WORKER II

 

Tumbler Ridge

Sept.16-17

New Westminster

Sept. 23-24

 

 

ARENA ICE MAKER

 

Mission

Aug. 27-28

 

 

RISK MANAGEMENT ONLINE

Nov. 9-Dec.4

 

To register, click on the Courses tab above!